Rhythmic dance takes over Chicago for spring
STOMPING GROUNDS, a free performance series produced by The Chicago Human Rhythm Project (CHRP), kicked off this week at the Chicago Cultural Center. The annual series, now in its third year, spotlights the Windy City's exceptionally diverse percussive dance community.
Running through June 2, STOMPING GROUNDS will showcase African, Irish, Mexican, Spanish, Chinese and American cultural traditions. This multi-performance event visits numerous venues and is a celebration of the rhythmic arts that connects diverse communities.
See a list of remaining performances below, with the staples being Ensemble Español, Mexican Folkloric Dance Company, Muntu Dance Theatre and Trinity Irish Dance Company. Each "Performalogue" includes presentations by a host company, a featured company and a guest company, along with dialogue between the artists and audience throughout the evening, food trucks and visual arts exhibitions.
- April 8, 7:30 p.m., National Museum of Mexican Art, 1852 W. 19th Street: Mexican Folkloric Dance Company, host company; Trinity Irish Dance, featured company; Muntu Dance Theatre, guest company
- April 15, 7:30 p.m., DuSable Museum of African American History, 740 E. 56th Place: Muntu Dance Theatre, host company; CHRP, featured company; Ensemble Español, guest company
- April 29, 7:30 p.m., Irish American Heritage Center, 4626 N. Knox Avenue: Trinity Irish Dance, host company; CHRP, featured company; Ensemble Español, guest company
- Special ticketed ($15-35) guest performance May 2, 7:30 p.m., Studebaker Theater, 410 S. Michigan Avenue: Special guests GuGu Drum Group from Shanghai perform
- May 13, 7:30 p.m., Beverly Arts Center, 2407 W. 111th Street: Muntu Dance Theatre, host company; Trinity Irish Dance, featured company; Mexican Folkloric Dance, guest company
- May 24, 6 p.m., Garfield Park Conservatory, 300 N. Central Park Avenue--celebrating National Tap Dance Day (May 25): Ensemble Español, host company; CHRP, featured company; Mexican Folkloric Dance, guest company
- Grand Finale: June 2, 7:30 p.m., Studebaker Theater, 410 S. Michigan Avenue: As the culminating event of STOMPING GROUNDS, CHRP, Ensemble Español, Mexican Folkloric Dance, Muntu Dance Theatre and Trinity Irish Dance present an evening of mixed repertory including new and existing works.
STOMPING GROUNDS events, except GuGu Drum Group on May 2, are free and open to the public. Reservations are available at chicagotap.org/performances/stomping-grounds. For general information, call 312-542-2477 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photography by Philamonjaro.