Australian Ballet Artistic Director applications now open
With the retirement of David McAllister in December 2020, the Board of The Australian Ballet is now seeking to appoint an inspirational, internationally- recognised person with outstanding artistic and leadership qualities to serve as Artistic Director and to guide the company’s continued growth and success. Interested candidates are invited to submit a covering letter and a detailed resume on or before 25 October 2019.
The ideal candidate is a confident, articulate and empathetic leader who can deliver a bold, innovative and compelling artistic vision to advance the company and its dancers consistent with the company’s mission and goals. The person will be able to demonstrate an affinity for Australian culture, identify and nurture talent, have a keen results focus and excellent stakeholder management skills. Additionally, the ideal candidate will possess a range of skills and attributes which include the ability to:
• Be the public face of The Australian Ballet and uphold the artistic reputation and standards of the company
• Leverage strong international contacts to secure premium productions and artistic talent
• Select, engage and develop outstanding dance and artistic talent
• Attract both new and loyal audiences to the art form
• Work in close partnership with the Executive Director to deliver exceptional programs and financial sustainability
• Collaborate with The Australian Ballet School to ensure a pipeline of future talent
The Australian Ballet is Australia’s flagship ballet company and one of the world’s leading ballet companies. Founded in 1962 and comprising 80 dancers, its diverse repertoire is built on the tradition of classical ballet and the best of contemporary ballet. Based in Melbourne, the company delivers over 240 performances annually in Australia and on regular international tours and has established a national and international reputation for outstanding performance excellence through its vision of “caring for tradition and daring to be different”.
The Artistic Director role will be based in Melbourne and will regularly spend significant time in Sydney and other national and international touring locations.